21 August 2009

Finding A Song To Share With My Daddy

I'm not really a daddy's girl. When I need advice about life, I turn to my mother - she has truly been my rock growing up. To be painfully honest, I don't even really have much of a relationship with my dad. I love him, and he loves me, but we're two very different people, and we know it. Thankfully, the relationship that we do have is good - we respect each other, and when we do talk, we speak fondly to each other, and try to catch up on the other's life in any little way we can.

While I'm (sadly) not very close with my dad, I do wish to dance with him at my wedding. I try not to rock the boat too much with him, or be too demanding, so I told him I would dance with him to any song he wants (the proverbial apple has already fallen far enough from the tree).

I would have loved to have a song that was special to my dad and myself, like Mr. Bear Cub and his mother. I didn't really think it would be possible - we're so different, my dad and I.

Last night, he sent me this song. I nearly cried.



Turn Around, sung by The Kingston Trio

Where are you going, my little one, little one?
Where are you going, my baby, my own?
Turn around and you're two.
Turn around and you're four.
Turn around and you're a young girl going out of the door.

Turn around. Turn around.
Turn around and you're a young girl going out of the door.

Where are you going, my little one, little one?
Little dirndls and petticoats, where have you gone?
Turn around and you're tiny.
Turn around and you're grown.
Turn around and you're a young wife with babes of your own.

Turn around. Turn around.
Turn around and you're a young wife with babes of your own.

...Are your eyes still dry? Good, cause mine aren't!

Despite our differences, when I was a little girl, I was my daddy's little girl. I loved him very dearly - just as a little girl loves her father. Our dynamic has since changed quite a bit, but one of my fondest memories of my father is of when I was a little girl growing up in a small town outside of Los Angeles. We would fly kites together very often, and one day the kite I was flying blew into some brush deep behind our home. I was so upset - I couldn't fly my kite anymore with my dad! So I asked him to go and get it for me... and he said he would get it, for the price of a hug. I paid up, and we happily continued flying our kites together.

I know my dad loves me, even if he doesn't know quite how to express it now. He loves me as the little girl I once was to him, and I'll happily fill those shoes again for him on my wedding day.

Now as I'm trying to get this song for our reception, it's proving hard to find! I was able to find the above link on youtube, but this version - by The Kingston Trio - isn't available for download on iTunes nor Amazon. Could you help me find an .mp3 of this song? I don't mind paying the $1 download - I just can't find it anywhere.

What are you dancing to with your father, and how does it reflect your changing relationship with him?

No comments:

Post a Comment